While there are tons of Christmas light displays to choose from in Seattle and Tacoma, a tucked-away spot in Spanaway, just outside of Tacoma, is one worth checking out--Fantasy Lights!
Why Fantasy Lights is Cool:
- You don't have to get out of your car. This drive-through display allows you to see 300 light displays set up along two miles from the comfort of your car, out of the rain, and with your choice of Christmas music.
- In 2012, the cost is just $13 per car, which is cheaper than most other displays, especially if you have kids in tow.
- Don't have any Christmas music with you? Turn to FM 93.7.
- Many of the displays have been around forever and some have traditions surrounding them. Stop your car under the gingerbread man or reindeer to let them jump over your car, or watch as other cars do the same.
- Make sure you turn your car lights off. The darker the surrounding area is, the better the light displays are. If you can't turn your lights off, ask if the staff have light covers for you.
- If you get there on an uncrowded night, go slow. It can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to view the displays depending on how quickly cars are moving. If there aren't cars to slow you down, you might find yourself disappointed at how quickly the end of the displays comes!
Where is it?
Spanaway Park just off of 152nd Street S and Pacific Avenue in Spanaway.
Photo copyright: Odunosuke